The Life-Changing Loaf of Bread uses whole grains, nuts, and seeds. It is high in plant protein. It is incredibly high in fiber. It is gluten-free and vegan. It’s compatible with Elimination and Paleo diets. Everything gets soaked for optimal nutrition and digestion. What could the catch be?
Nothing! This bread is delicious. And it’s actually good for you. This is one recipe you want to have in your back pocket, and bring out regularly.
If you need it Paleo-ized, you can do that by using 1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut and 1 cup of almond flour instead of the 1 1/2 cups of oats. Thanks to Cleanse Your Life for this tip!
This recipe originally appeared on My New Roots.
Source – Dr. Kara Fitzgerald
The Life-Changing Loaf of Bread
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts or almonds
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats Choose gluten-free oats as needed
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 4 tbsp psyllium seed husks or 3 Tbsp. if using psyllium husk powder
- 1 tsp fine grain sea salt add ½ tsp. if using coarse salt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (for sugar-free diets, use a pinch of stevia)
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil or ghee
- 1 1/2 cups water
- In a flexible, silicon loaf pan combine all dry ingredients, stirring well. Whisk maple syrup, oil and water together in a measuring cup. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix very well until everything is completely soaked and dough becomes very thick (if the dough is too thick to stir, add one or two teaspoons of water until the dough is manageable). Smooth out the top with the back of a spoon. Let sit out on the counter for at least 2 hours, or all day or overnight. To ensure the dough is ready, it should retain its shape even when you pull the sides of the loaf pan away from it it.
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C.
- Place loaf pan in the oven on the middle rack, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove bread from loaf pan, place it upside down directly on the rack and bake for another 30-40 minutes. Bread is done when it sounds hollow when tapped. Let cool completely before slicing (difficult, but important).
- Store bread in a tightly sealed container for up to five days. Freezes well too – slice before freezing for quick and easy toast!
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The product mentioned in this article are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The information in this article is not intended to replace any recommendations or relationship with your physician. Please review references sited at end of article for scientific support of any claims made.