Everyone knows that social media, blogging and your online presence MATTERS more than it ever has before. Maybe you have a Facebook business page or maybe you have an e-mail list of all of your patients…Either way, the online space is facilitating an incredible landscape for practitioner of all sorts to easily get their name out there, sell products and get more patients. Here is what you really need to know….
1. Start with what you’re passionate about! This may sound like a given but many practitioners struggle with focusing on certain topics that move them when building their online presence. Rather than trying to do it all, hone in on what you really are an expert in. Ask yourself what really moves you and what excites you when you wake up in the morning? Ask yourself what makes you feel complete and why you do what you do each day?
“No matter how small you start, start with something that matters…” Brendan Burchard
2. Be yourself. Be authentic. One of the best pieces of advice you can follow is to stay true to what you believe in and what you are passionate about. Ask yourself what sets you a part from others in your space? Your strongest power is that you are you, and that no one else is. You have something unique that defines you and makes you special! Use this to your advantage. Be a leader and an expert in whatever you decide is your place in this world. Importantly, keep in mind that people want to connect to WHY you do what you do. They want a personal story of love, healing and resiliency. What can you share with your audiences that allows them to connect with you? You have one chance to make a good impression online, how will you be remembered?
3. Give love to get love. This is so important and often times is misunderstood in the online world. There are inevitably other people who do what you do, offer services that you do and sell products you do. At the end of the day however, there is room for everyone and unfortunately, there is no shortage of sick people and there is no shortage of how progressive healthcare is. Offer to support your colleagues, brands, business, bloggers and other influencers without expecting anything in return. This will always come back to you in the best possible way.
4. Back to basics-why online marketing? Online marketing is an opportunity to engage, converse and create a name for your legacy. What you put out into the digital world has the opportunity to reach thousands if not millions of people! Imagine seeing 20 patients a day and then writing a blog that can be read by ten thousand people…the opportunities are really endless. Everyone has different goals and whatever those may look like, an online campaign can and should be tailored to help you get there.
5. Have a website that will impress. This is hands down one of the most important pieces. Your website is home base. It’s where everything you create lives and where everyone will remember to go to learn more about you and keep up with you. Is it fresh, modern and user friendly? Do consumers know where to go to find the content they are looking for when they visit the site? Do you have free content and free opt-ins to convert your visitors into e-mail subscribers? It’s an investment of your time, energy and finance up front but absolutely worth it.
6. Write, write, write and write some more. Content is king of the internet. I think there tends to be a stigma with the word “content” or “blog” but let me break down some of those possible fears for you…A piece of content can be ANYTHING you feel compelled to create. A recipe, a video, a 500 word update on your latest research, a review etc. Don’t be hesitate to create around what you feel passionate about. Additionally, consistency is so integral. Writing content each week gives your readers a reason to come back to your site. It also gives you an opportunity to share more on social media and in your newsletter which drives traffic back to your site. Get creative with what you create and remember there is no right or wrong way!
Online marketing is beautiful thing. It can be fun and drive your creative juices in addition to helping you grow your practice and sell your products. Every effort you put in opens new doors and new opportunities. While all of this may sound like a lot, keep in mind that you can take it piece by piece. Have a team that can support you and help move you forward. Start writing down your thoughts and reflections and more importantly, where you want to be in the next year and start tackling your list!
This article was written by Daffnee Cohen. Daffnee is an online marketing expert, dog mom, Zumba instructor, writer and Crossfitter enjoying the Florida sunshine. She writes for Huffington Post, MindBodyGreen and her own site. Learn more about on her website and follow her on Instagram @Daffnee.