Here are some tips for natural allergy relief:
- Shut the windows & door
- Your first and possibly best defense is avoidance. Keeping windows and doors closed and running air conditioner will help. Be sure to get an allergen-grade air filter installed.
- Minimize indoor pollution
- Dust, mites, pet dander are also common allergens. Clean air ducts, install clean filters, and have your air ducts cleaned at the end of summer. Never allow smoking inside the house. Avoid air fresheners and plug-ins as much as possible. Try to buy green or natural cleaners and eliminate any unnecessary chemicals
- Filter your air & clean your shower
- Get a HEPA filter – especially for the bedroom and rooms in which you spend the majority of your time. Make sure your shower or bath doesn’t leak or that dripping faucet will lead to mold growth on wet surfaces.
- Use a neti pot
- Although it may feel a little awkward at first, get used to rinsing out your sinuses and keeping nasal passages clear of mucous by using the neti pot daily. My patients who have committed to using it all say what a huge difference it makes!
- Homeopathic remedies
- There are some great homeopathic formulas available. Some of my favorites are Boiron Sabadil (allergy symptoms) and Sinusalia (sinus pain & inflammation)
- Boost your immune system
- Medicinal mushrooms can be very effective, my favorites are Metagenics Immucore or Thorne Research Mycoimmune
- Vitamin C 1000-2000mg daily with Zinc 25-50mg daily
- High quality omega-3 fish oil (try Nordic Naturals ProOmega or Metagenics EPA DHA 720)
- Don’t forget the Vitamin D 1000IU daily or sunshine equivalent
- Take a probiotic supplement, like acidophillus 5-10billion cfus
- Traditional Chinese herbs & acupuncture
- Consult an expert in traditional Chinese medicine and herbs. There are many effective treatments depending on your symptoms
- Symptom suggestions
- Orthomolecular Natural DHIST and DHIST Jr
- Metagenics Nasanol
- Thorne Research QC Nasal Spray and T. Asthmatic Plus
- XClear nasal spray
With a little planning you may have the allergy symptom-free Fall season you’ve always wanted but never dreamed possible!
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The product mentioned in this article are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The information in this article is not intended to replace any recommendations or relationship with your physician. Please review references sited at end of article for scientific support of any claims made.