Could I eat these almond joy bars every day? Absolutely. Which is why the two times I’ve made them, I’ve gotten them out of my house immediately. First time, I took them to a girls potluck night, then to a Super Bowl party. And so far, they were loved by all females involved. And my husband chowed down on them too! But the females appreciated them more. Why do women appreciate dessert more than men? Not all women. My sister-in-law could care less about desserts. Which is why I hate her sometimes. Ok, only 0.5% of the time. Oh guess what?! My favorite spot in town, Just Be Kitchen, made these bars for their restaurant so if you’re in the Denver area anytime soon, you can pick one up there! How rad is that!? This recipe was originally posted on Paleo OMG.
Almond Joy Bars
For the crust
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup Coconut Flour + 1 tablespoon
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour + 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 cup melted ghee or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- Salt pinch
For the coconut layer
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup Honey
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
For the chocolate layer
- 2 cups mini chocolate chips
- 16 Almonds
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 glass baking dish and line with parchment paper (this will help with removal to cut the squares later). Add all ingredients for the crust into a food processor and pulse until completely combine. The dough should mix into a slight ball once combined. Put dough in a pan and use your fingers to press dough around evenly throughout the pan. Poke holes with a fork in the dough to keep it from rising in the oven. Bake crust for 20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove then let crust cool.
- Place all the ingredients for the coconut layer in a food processor and pulse until coconut becomes fine and completely combined. Spread coconut layer on top of crust and spread evenly throughout. Place in freezer for 5 minutes.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or microwave. Pour melted chocolate over coconut layer and use a spoon to smooth throughout. Place the almonds throughout the chocolate layer then place in the freezer for 10 minutes to harden the chocolate.
- Once hardened, bring to room temperature before cutting into squares then serve up. They are definitely better at room temperature when the chocolate has softened up a bit!
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The product mentioned in this article are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The information in this article is not intended to replace any recommendations or relationship with your physician. Please review references sited at end of article for scientific support of any claims made.