Dr. Jill Carnahan’s Eight Tips for Daily Detox in a Toxic World
- Drink more water! Most people simply don’t consume enough water to effectively remove toxins from their bodies. If you don’t like water by itself, add sliced lemon, lime, or cucumber to a pitcher of water and store in your fridge for a cool refreshing treat.
- Don’t eat chemicals, artificial colorings, additives or dyes. Eat REAL food, not packaged, processed, pre-made or preserved. Learn to prepare food yourself and forgo the convenience of packaged goods. Did you know a food industry executive once wisely said that we could cure the obesity epidemic by requiring everyone to make his or her meals from scratch?
- Sweat! Yes, you heard me…get rid of your antiperspirants, which contain toxins such as aluminum, and instead use natural deodorants that allow your body to sweat. Tom’s of Maine Long Lasting with soothing calendula is my fav. Sweating is one of your body’s natural mechanisms to get rid of toxins (especially fat-soluble ones).
- Clean up your beauty routine. You shouldn’t wear anything on your body or face that would not be safe for you to eat. Take stock of your makeup, lotions, and personal care products and dump the stuff with toxic chemicals, like sodium lauryl, phthalates, fragrances, dyes, and parabens. Need soap? Try natural, organic brands like Dr Bronner’s, Kiss My Face, Aubrey Organic, Out of Africa or EO. Better yet… make your own! Get your free Safe Cosmetic Guide here.
- Go greens! Add a little parsley, cilantro or other chlorophyll-rich greens to your daily smoothie. Both are light diuretics and contain a variety of important vitamins and nutrients. Use kale and spinach on a regular basis. These leafy greens can help cleanse your body and eliminate toxic substances that may be detrimental to your health
- Travel with activated charcoal for exposure to toxic chemicals in food or food poisoning. If you feel unwell after a meal out, take 500-1000mg of activated charcoal with a large glass of water.
- Don’t fill your home with products that off-gas toxic chemicals: Air fresheners, perfumed candles, plug-in air fresheners and the like have got to go!
- Incorporate daily rituals which aid your body’s ability to detox, like a 10 minute sauna session after work-out, an epsom salt bath, or pre-shower dry brushing. My favorite ritual is a 20-minute hot bath with Epsom salts, eucalyptus essential oil, a soy-unscented candle, and a great read.
If you loved this blog, subscribe today and don’t miss another!