6 Simple Steps to Treat Your Depression without Drugs. Depression is no laughing matter. It is a very serious ailment affecting nearly 15 million Americans often treated with potent prescription medications. Furthermore, side effects of antidepressants run the gamut from decreased libido, to flat emotions, restlessness, sleep disturbances, even thoughts of suicide. In cases of mild to moderate depression there are natural solutions that may help to restore your mood.
Address the Root Causes of Depression with Dr Jill’s Six Simple Steps to Treat Mood Disorders below …
- Vitamin D: Have your physician check your vitamin D level and supplement at least 2000IU of D3 or 15-20 minutes of sunlight daily. Optimal serum levels of 25(OH) Vitamin D should be 50-80 ng/ml.
- Fish Oil: Supplement omega-3 fatty acids with fish oil or eat wild salmon at least twice weekly. The brain is made up of fats and health ratios of omega 3: omega 6 fatty acids are absolutely essential to happy mood and healthy brain function. I recommend Salmon Oil from Vital Choice – take 3 caps daily.
- Food Allergies: Chronic inflammation from food sensitivities may play a role in causing symptoms of depression and anxiety. Keeping inflammation at bay is critical if you want great sleep and a happy mood! Gluten and other common foods may be causing hidden inflammation. I suggest trying the elimination of gluten, dairy and sugar for a minimum of 30 days to see if this plays a role in your mood. Need help? Here’s some tips to get you started…
- Probiotics: Unbalanced gut microbes can contribute to depression, too. (See my article on Mind-Altering Microbes for more reading) Be sure you are takeing a high potency probiotic, like Klaire Ther-biotic Complete 50 billion cfu’s daily. (You can order direct from Prothera, Inc. using code = 618)
- 5HTP: Aid your body’s natural production of serotonin. A few essential ingredients for production of this “happy neurotransmitter” are 5HTP 100-150mg, vitamin B6 10-25mg, and Magnesium Citramate 250-500mg at bedtime.
- Methyl-folate and B12: Support methylation. Some patients respond well to sublingual methylcobalamin 2500-5000mcg and oral methyl-folate 1-5mg daily. Be sure to avoid processed cereals and breads which contain synthetic folic acid and may make mood worse. If you don’t know if you have a genetic SNP for MTHFR, you can ask your doctor to test you for the mutation or read more about MTHFR here.
You are not destined to feel sad and be on anti-depressant medication for life. GET YOUR MOJO BACK by following my simple steps to support a happy mood and you’ll be on your way to feeling better soon! In addition, I recommend addressing stressors in your life by incorporating daily thoughts of gratitude, forgiveness, service to others and prayer into your daily routine!
Please consult with your doctor before attempting to discontinue any medications on your own.
If you liked this post subscribe to my free newsletter today!
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The product mentioned in this article are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The information in this article is not intended to replace any recommendations or relationship with your physician. Please review references sited at end of article for scientific support of any claims made.