Why I love Chia Seed… Harvested from the salvia hispanics plant and a member of the mint family, the chia seeds’ value as both a source of sustenance has been recognized for thousands of years. The ancient Aztecs regarded chia seeds as one of their most essential grains so much that they were used as currency.
In modern times, they are classified as functional foods and considered by many to be a perfect super food. Chia seeds are also rich in dietary fiber essential in maintaining the health of their digestive systems.
The large amounts of omega-3 fatty acids in chia seeds are helpful in soothing the inflammation in the digestive system and promote better absorption of nutrients. With such a great amount of nutrition in so every little seed, there is little wonder why chia seeds are ranked highly among nature’s super foods!
This delicious Chia Pudding is dairy-free, gluten-free, and SUPER healthy! You can this recipe your own by adding one of the following optional add-ins!
- 2 tablespoons toasted coconut flakes (Crazy Coconut version)
- 1-2 tablespoons of organic cocoa powder (Devine Chocolate version)
- 1-2 tablespoons of Thorne Vegalite protein powder (forPost-workout Protein version)
- 1-2 tablespoons of blueberries or raspberries (for Very Berry version)
- 1 teaspoon of organic matcha green tea powder (Super Antioxidant Energy version)
- 1/3 cup of mashed banana (Tropical Banana version)