This recipe originally appeared on Robyn Puglia Nutrition and Functional Medicine.
As you may know by now, “eating the rainbow” in order to include all 6 classes (colours) of phytonutrient is a foundation of eating-to-restore-health, no matter what your overall goal is.
The benefits to including these foods is many, not the least of which is flavour, variety and vitality to your diet.
Well then, what could be better than starting your day, or snacking mid-afternoon on a smoothie that incorporates all 6 colours! Then the whole rest of the day is bonus points.
This smoothie is also great for your gut, as it contains a wonderful array of different plants and fibre to feed those good bacteria, and it supports healthy detoxification and elimination, as it’s full of nutrients to support liver and kidney function.
***This recipe may not be ideal for those following a low glycemic diet
Eating The Rainbow - Full Spectrum Smoothies
- 10 raspberries or 5 strawberries
- 1/4 cup pineapple or half a banana
- 2 tbsp cooked sweet potato or 1 apricot or half a peach or nectarine
- 1 cup rocket or watercress
- 10 blueberries or blackberries
- lmond, walnut or cashew milk or some nuts and filtered water
- Add everything to your blender and whizz until smooth. Add water or more nut milk until you have reached the desired consistency.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The product mentioned in this article are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The information in this article is not intended to replace any recommendations or relationship with your physician. Please review references sited at end of article for scientific support of any claims made.