Small batch vegan brownies made with just almond butter, maple syrup, and cocoa powder. Crazy, right? Crazy good!
Ok, maybe I’ve always loved brownies.
But what about vegan brownies? I’ve never loved those. That is, until I made these with almond butter, maple syrup and cocoa powder. It sounds ridiculous. It sounds like it wouldn’t work. But it does.
They’re made in a standard bread loaf pan (how I always make small-batch brownies), and you can get 2 large or 4 small brownies from this recipe. It’s portion control, vegan, naturally sweetened, and easily made gluten-free. Is there anything else you could want in a brownie recipe?
This recipe originally appeared on Dessert For Two.
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour or GF brown rice flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- salt pinch
- 3 ounce vegan chocolate bar chopped (or vegan chocolate chips)
- Preheat the oven to 325, and line a 9x5" bread loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving extra on the ends so that you can easily lift out your brownies when they're done.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cocoa powder, almond butter, maple syrup and coconut oil. Stir well, and then microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds.
- Remove from the microwave and stir to blend well.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt, and stir for about 50 strokes to blend very well. (If you're using gluten free flour, you don't have to stir this much. Just stir until well-mixed).
- Pour the mixture into the pan, and top with the chopped chocolate bar.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let cool completely, and then chill in the fridge for best results. They cut the most evenly if they're well-chilled. You could dig in right away, though they will be slightly messy.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The product mentioned in this article are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The information in this article is not intended to replace any recommendations or relationship with your physician. Please review references sited at end of article for scientific support of any claims made.
Great recipe, I just thought we should not use microwaves.
The vegan brownie recipe is an example of how being vegan does not equal healthy.
Thank you so much Dr Jiil Carnahan. I can’ wait to try it all.