Hypothyroid Herbal Tea was originally posted on Andrea Beaman.
Hypothyroid is the most popular form of thyroid disease and millions of people are suffering with debilitating symptoms (weight gain, hair loss, lethargy, moodiness, PMS, dry skin, cold hands and feet, etc.).
The interesting thing is that hypothyroidism is not an incurable condition. It certainly can be uncomfortable, but it is not incurable.
There are many things you can do to help alleviate some of the symptoms of hypothyroidism, and one of my favorite things is to start enjoying a daily herbal tea. It’s simple and easy and can support your body to help feel a little bit better.
Below are the ingredients in this tea and why I think they are essential to improving thyroid health.
Gotu Kola (Centella asiatica): member of the parsley family that has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine to enhance cognitive performance and circulation. Many hypothyroid folks often complain of foggy memory and poor circulation.
Red Clover (Trifolium pratense): this pretty little pea flower pops up all summer long and has been used as a lymph moving herb, natural diuretic, and supports liver cleansing and blood purification. Often times, if the liver is congested, the conversion of T4 to T3 is compromised, contributing to a sluggish thyroid.
Licorice Root (Glycyrrhiza glabra): Licorice is a classic herb used in a wide variety of TCM herbal remedies to help harmonize all of the herbs and their ability to work together. But, beyond that, licorice is amazing for supporting the mucous membranes, healing the gastrointestinal tract, and nourishing the adrenals.
Of course there are many more thyroid supportive herbs that can be used in this daily tea, but three good ones is a great place to start.
Drink 2-3 cups daily for best results.
Top Sixteen Symptoms of Hypothyroid
- Increased sensitivity to cold
- Dry skin
- Unexplained weight gain
- Puffy face
- Muscle weakness
- Elevated blood cholesterol level
- Muscle aches and pain
- Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints
- Heavier than normal or irregular menstrual periods
- Thinning hair
- Slower heart rate
- Depressed mood
- Impaired memory
Hypothyroid Herbal Tea
- 2 tbsp Gotu kola Centella asiatica
- 1 tbsp Red Clover blossoms Trifolium pratense
- 1 tsp Licorice root Glycyrrhiza glabra
- Place dried herbs in French press or 32 ounce mason jar.
- Fill with boiling water and steep 20-25 minutes or longer.
- Drink 2-3 cups daily.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The product mentioned in this article are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The information in this article is not intended to replace any recommendations or relationship with your physician. Please review references sited at end of article for scientific support of any claims made.