Eating a nutritious breakfast after you wake up is very important. A healthy meal in the morning re-fuels your body and provides the necessary energy for the day. But when we think of the usual healthy options, cookies are definitely not one of them. Except these.
Adults and kids everywhere, rejoice! You can roll out of bed and start your morning with these delicious Breakfast Cookies. They're Paleo, SCD, and can be made vegan as well. So instead of skipping breakfast or grabbing a sugary baked good somewhere on the way to work, whip up a batch of these healthy Breakfast Cookies!
This recipe is by Danielle Walker of Against All Grain. She says,
“I get a little excited when I look at the ingredients for these cookies. I love that there’s no dairy, minimal flour, and that they’re just as good with the flax “eggs” as they are with conventional eggs. They’re high in fiber and protein. They’re grain-free, dairy-free, and are completely sweetened by fruit. Which also makes them Paleo and SCD.
They’re the perfect way to start off your day. Or to give you an energy burst to help you get through the middle of your day. Or to eat for dessert at the end of your day. Make these whatever you want them to be. I store mine in the freezer and just remove the amount of cookies I want to eat 15-20 minutes prior to eating. They’re also really good warm, so you can pop them in the microwave frozen for 20 seconds as well.
Please note that the breakfast cookies in these photos were made with 2 eggs. If you make them egg-free, they will be a slightly different color due to the flax and will also not rise as much. They are slightly more dense and moist than the cookies pictured.
- 1/4 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 6 pitted dried dates soaked in warm water for 15 minutes
- 3/4 cups Shredded coconut*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 medium Eggs (or 2 tablespoons finely ground flaxseed + 5 tablespoons warm water)
- 1/2 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tbsp dried unsweetened dark cherries
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 3 tbsp Currants
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- If you’re doing the vegan version, whisk your ground flax and warm water in a bowl and let it sit for 5-10 minutes until it has thickened.
- Combine the coconut flour, almond butter, and dates in a food processor. Process until well combined and the dates have broken up into really small pieces, about a minute.
- Add the shredded coconut, applesauce, eggs or flax “eggs”, cinnamon, vanilla, salt and baking soda and process for 30 seconds until a wet dough forms.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, and pulse once or twice until the fruit is incorporated into the dough but chopped up.
- Using an ice cream scoop or large tablespoon, drop the dough in heaping spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet lined with a SilPat or parchment paper.
- Dip a metal spatula in water, and use the bottom to lightly press down each ball of dough. These cookies will not spread or rise so make sure to make them the shape you want them prior to baking.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until they are golden on top and slightly brown along the edges.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The product mentioned in this article are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The information in this article is not intended to replace any recommendations or relationship with your physician. Please review references sited at end of article for scientific support of any claims made.