Pumpkin nut butter originally appeared on Chocolate Covered Katie. Pumpkin has a range of fantastic health benefits, including being one of the best-known sources of beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is a powerful antioxidant. It also gives orange vegetables and fruits their vibrant color. The body converts any ingested beta-carotene into vitamin A. Consuming foods rich in beta-carotene may reduce the risk of developing certain types of cancer, offer protection against asthma and heart disease, and delay aging and body degeneration. [Source].
Fast facts on pumpkins
- The potassium contained within pumpkins can have a positive effect on blood pressure.
- The antioxidants in pumpkin could help prevent degenerative damage to the eyes.
- Avoid canned pumpkin pie mix, as it typically contains added sugars and syrups.
- Uncut pumpkins should be stored in a cool, dark place for up to 2 months.
- Pumpkin puree or canned pumpkin can be used as a replacement for butter or oil in baking recipes.