Mold exposure is a tricky, deceptive, and sometimes devastating illness. We’ve learned through scientific studies that mold illness is one of the primary triggers of many diseases and health conditions, such as asthma, respiratory infections, brain swelling, cancer, and even death.1
Mold spores, while seemingly harmless on their own, are everywhere—even on our foods! What is needed for these spores to grow into an actual mold is moisture. These spores can evolve on our dampened foods, where they may or may not be visible to the eye, or once they’re inside our bodies.
A low-mold diet prevents the mold from growing in your body while simultaneously restoring nutrient deficiencies that may have occurred from the mold exposure.
What Foods Should I Avoid on the Low-Mold Diet?
Sources of Sugar
Sugars are one of the primary sources of fuel for mold spores that promote growth inside your body.
You should avoid:
- Table sugar
- Maple syrup
- Baked goods
High-sugar fruits are also discouraged. These include:
Packaged and Processed Foods
Processed and pre-packaged foods almost always contain sugars or some sort of additives that will also fuel mold growth.
Stay away from:
- Baked beans
- Ready-made sauces
- Ready-made meals
- Breakfast cereals
- Frozen foods
- Soft drinks
- Fruit juices
- Soy Sauce
Mold and Yeast-Containing Foods
If you’re trying to prevent mold from entering your body or kill off what you’ve already been exposed to, you should always stay away from products that are notorious for being contaminated.
Some examples are:
- Cheese and sour milk products
- Sour cream
- Brazil nuts
- Dried fruit
- Wheat, rice, oats
- Packaged and smoked meats
- Hot dogs
- Corned beef
- Smoked fish
- Edible fungi
- Alcoholic beverages
What Is on the Low-Mold Diet Food List?
There are some foods that are fine for you to eat in small amounts and others that you can enjoy freely.
Let’s take a look at what you can eat in moderation:2
- Gluten-free grains
- Brown rice
- Certified gluten-free oats
- High-starch vegetables and legumes
- Sweet corn
- Sweet potatoes
- Low-sugar fruits
And here is a list of foods that you are free to indulge in as much as you’d like:
- Poultry (pasture-raised, organic only)
- Chicken eggs
- Fish (wild-caught only)
- Sea bass
- Other meats (grass-fed only)
- Ground beef
- Beef cuts
- Raw nuts and seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Flax seeds
- Chia seeds
- Sesame seeds
- Leafy greens and other vegetables
- Collard greens
- Turnip greens
- Green and red cabbage
- Brussel sprouts
- Green, yellow, red, and orange peppers
- Herbs, plants, and spices
- Cayenne pepper (organic)
- Pink Himalayan salt
- Cinnamon (organic)
- Pure vanilla
- Healthy fats
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Coconut oil
- Coconut milk
- Organic butter
- Filtered water
- Mineral water
- Non-fruity herbal teas
- Fresh vegetable juice
Should You Discard Moldy Foods?
There are some moldy foods that you are able to salvage so that you’re not wasteful. However, that list shrinks drastically when you’re focusing only on the foods allowed on the low-mold diet.
But first, let’s go through some of the items that are on the low-mold diet that you shouldn’t consume and should immediately discard if you see any mold:3
- Soft fruits and vegetables (such as peaches and tomatoes)
- Legumes and nuts
The foods you may still be able to use are:
- Firm fruits and vegetables (such as bell peppers)
- Be sure to cut at least one inch around the moldy spot. Do not touch the mold with your knife or you will cross-contaminate the rest of the food.
If you see any foods that contain mold:
- Do not sniff the item. This can cause respiratory issues.
- If it’s covered and unsalvagable, wrap it up in plastic and discard it in a covered trash can.
- Clean the area where the moldy food was thoroughly.
- Check the nearby food items to see if the mold has spread. It can spread quickly in fruits and vegetables.
How Long Does It Take to Get Mold Out of Your System?
How long should it take you to recover from mold illness? This depends on three main factors:4
- Exposure time This is the single greatest factor in determining how long it will take for mold to get out of your system. If you have been exposed for long periods, such as years, you’re likely to have mold buildup in your body. This is going to mean a longer recovery time. If this is the case, you could be looking at up to a year to remove all the mold toxicity. Although, if you fail to remove the source of the mold or continue to consume it, you may never be fully healed.
- The type of mold Which type of mold were you exposed to? In this instance, we’re only looking at whether it was poisonous or nonpoisonous. Nearly 90% of all molds don’t affect the majority of the population due to them being nonpoisonous, but for those with fungal allergies, even these molds can cause a big problem. However, if you’re exposed to the 10% of poisonous molds, your recovery is expected to take longer. This is because your body begins to absorb the airborne poisons, called mycotoxins, almost immediately. These mycotoxins have the ability to build up and cause damage over time. Your body has to completely rid itself of this poison and heal damaged tissue by expelling the mold through your liver.
- Mold sensitivity The third factor in your recovery time is your degree of sensitivity to mold. This is important because we are all exposed to mold in our daily life. Every time you open the door, you’re breathing in new mold spores in the air and letting them into your home. If you are in the 16-20% of the population that has this high level of mold sensitivity, this can cause an issue in your healing time.
Is There a Mold Exposure Test?
If you suspect you’ve been exposed to mold and think your symptoms are from mold illness, you should consult with your doctor. Since mold illness isn’t always diagnosable from symptoms alone, your doctor may want to order a blood or skin-prick test to confirm.5
Some persistent symptoms you should look for include:
- Itchy skin and eyes
- Difficulty breathing
Enhancing Your Mold Detoxification
When you’re fighting mold illness, the symptoms can feel overwhelming and your recovery time may or may not be quick. On top of following the low-mold diet, you can enhance your detoxification and significantly cut your recovery time down by using binders and supplements.
Binders, such as the ones listed below, will bind those poisonous mycotoxins in your body and effectively help kill off any remaining mold in your system :
Also, using supplements, such as the ones listed below, will facilitate detoxification:
You can find all of these products and more in my online health store!
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The product mentioned in this article are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The information in this article is not intended to replace any recommendations or relationship with your physician. Please review references sited at end of article for scientific support of any claims made.